Sunday, June 17, 2012

Birthing Class and Hospital Tour

Birthing Class and Hospital Tour

We recently had the opportunity to take a birthing class at the hospital where we will be having little Nathan Eli. From a guys perspective it was pretty interesting. Most of the information presented in the class, I had learned while I was training to be an EMT. As for Samantha she had also learned quite a bit of the material already while taking classes to be a nurse.

Here I am with all our stuff.
But what made this class so valuable to me was I was able to practice some of the things that will help physically and emotionally comfort Samantha during labor. In addition to that I was able to practice things like swaddling, and different techniques for holding him.

I think that its importnat to note that I have very little experience with infants. I have only held maybe two in my whole life.  So needless to say I will be relying on Samantha.

We chose our sonogram picture of Nathan as our focal point.


Here we are practicing breathing techniques.






Oh yea! She sure is ready to be holding Nathan!

Hospital Tour

 Another great thing about this class was that it was taught by a nurse who works in the labor and delivery and who is also a dula.

We were able to see all the different room and amenities our hospital has to offer for mommy and daddy.



 There is a jacuzzi tub that is available, a pantry that is stocked with snacks and popsicles, which we will have access to freely. A heated linnen closet with robes and blankets for mommy daddy or even baby. There are yoga balls and squatting bars that are available to assist with labor and delivery.

 The rooms were a lot larger and nicer than I was expecting. I didn't expect a table and a TV with a DVD player. It was a very pleasant surprise.





All in all this was a very long and informative day. We made some wonderful memories and hopefully learned some things that (I hope I can remember, and hopefully not panic!) will help this labor and delivery go smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, pretty soon the baby will be here! :)

    I just wanted to tell you that I just read your page on betrothal on your other blog, and I LOVE it! I have been reading a ton of stuff about courtship lately, and I have come to the conclusion that even conservative courtship is not ideal - there really is no biblical example of an in-between step. But it seemed that nobody else in the whole world believed that, so I was starting to get discouraged and wonder if it was just my own super-stuffy, made-up idea. You described it perfectly and biblically though, and it really encouraged me. Up til now I really have not done things perfectly, but I know God can take anyone where they are at and lead them to a more Christ-honoring life from there, so I am excited to see what He will do in my life. Thanks SO much for sharing that page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christianna,

      Samantha and I were deeply blessed by your comment. It is always exciting to know that our testimony has blessed and helped someone. We have always felt that our blog (both) were ministries that we could allow God to use to help other people understand more fully, the biblical concept of betrothal, and the many blessing that come with it.

      Our prayer is that through our testimony and blog, people (especially young people of marriageable age) would have a deeper faith in God and believe that HE has their best in mind, and if they would be willing to leave the choice of their mate up to God, He can and will do a divine betrothal. In addition we try to encourage young people to keep waiting on God even when it gets hard (because it does get hard), and even when it seems like everyone around us is dating or courting.

      And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
      Galatians 6:9

      God Bless
      Adam and Samantha

      PS If we can be of any help to you please let us know.

      Delete